Wednesday, October 22, 2008

KYOFU NO MIRA (恐怖のミイラ) - NOT "Yami Ii Hikaru Me" (Fear Of The Mummy) - (1958)

I got an email from Box.net today, Nov. 6, 2008, saying they had deleted the sound file included in this review for copyright protection infringement! For my money, this would have been the last film I would have thought anyone had a copyright on since information and copies of the film are like non-existent! So, whatever, I don't get it, and now neither do you!!! The link is now dead, sorry about that!
So, thanx to JohnF, I've corrected this title some eleven years later, and the correct title is Kyofu no Mira (恐怖のミイラ) not "Yami Ni Hikaru Me" or in English, "Fear Of The Mummy," or "Fear For The Mummy."
 This film is about as obscure of a movie as we've seen lately! You can't hardly find out anything about it, except that it was directed by the virtually unknown Masakura Tamura and starred Bob Strickland in his 7th and last film, and that it was really a series of TV episodes edited into a movie.

Chillin' before it's time to go to work, then the alarm goes off and the Mummy has to find a trench coat so that he can stroll on down to the local bar and get a drink!! Some days it just doesn't pay to get up!!

Tabonga found us a copy in a pawnshop somewhere in Yokkaichi and the quality was barely worth watching, but the inventive soundtrack of eerie Casio noodling combined with some meandering guitar licks that sound a lot like something from one of the German "Dr. Mabuse" films and composed by God only knows who, makes it more than worthwhile!!

So, you want weird? That's why we're here!! Let the count down continue!!!

6 comments:

Prof. Grewbeard said...

i need a copy of this movie! i'll trade you for a copy of Invisible Man Vs. The Human Fly, the SECOND Most Obscure 50's Japanese Sci-fi Film ever!

zillagord said...

Guys:
Wow. The countdown continues, and it's one hit after another. I have really been enjoying this ride! Thanks.

Now that I have brown-nosed (albeit sincerely), I have a request: I know it is a bit beyond the scope of this blog, but I am hoping you could perhaps check out the film "Teenage Gang Debs." There is a song in it entitled "Blackbelt" (I think) that absolutely begs to be made into an mp3. Check it out, I think you will agree!

Thanks for your contribution to my Halloween mood. I'll see you again tomorrow!

Peace,
Zilla

вот тот самый синефил said...

Sorry for asking that but did this film release on DVD-R in Trash Palace or somewhere else?

EEGAH!! said...

Don't be sorry. As far as I know this film is still not available anywhere.

JohnF said...

Hi and thanks for your article.
I was doing some research about this film and here what I found :

"Yami ni hikaru me" (闇に光る眼 as written on your first screen) is a entirely another film, a classic gangster movie. So no mummy here.
Google translate is your friend :
https://www.nikkatsu.com/movie/20432.html
https://ameblo.jp/runupgo/entry-11761581025.html
https://movie.walkerplus.com/mv22797/

So Imdb is wrong (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0226656/) and the right japanese title for "Fear of the mummy" is Kyofu no Mira (恐怖のミイラ, as seen on the poster on the the Imdb page, which is the only right thing with the synopsis and the still. All other information (director, writer, cast...) is for the "true" Yami ni hikaru me.
Kyofu no Mira is a 350 minutes TV show and is fully available on Blu-ray : https://amzn.to/2PwlA0p

So what I don't understand is why a screen from this show has another title on it. Maybe it's an episode title...

EEGAH!! said...

I see what you're saying John. Guess I'll change it. We run into these clusters of info all the time. Thanks for pointing it out!

Monster Music

Monster Music
AAARRGGHHH!!!! Ya'll Come On Back Now, Y'Hear??